Saturday 19 May 2012

The Universal

Tonight is the end of my work placement in Radio Clyde (Subtle name drop) so I thought I would take my partner in crime Steph for a dinner in the city.

I used to have a passionate love affair with Groupon, until I found out they were leading me on and weren't ready to commit.

So tonight is the last voucher I got from them ages ago, for the Universal in Glasgow.

The voucher, which entitled us to two burgers and two cocktails was a very good deal. I know so because I arrived half an hour before Steph, which gave me time to read the menu six times, than translate it to French, read it upside down, make a hat out of it and sleep on it.

When Steph made a panicky appearance : "Quick! do you have change for the cab, that taxi driver is an arse!"we finally ordered an appletini and a strawberry daiquiri which made life worthwhile again.

The burger menu was nice, you had a choice of beef, lamb and mint, a vegetarian mushroom chickpea and red pepper, or 5 different spiced chicken. I was starting to feel adventurous and was going for the "Thai style chicken" but when Steph ordered the 10 oz beef burger with cheese, I knew what I had to do: "Yeah, I'll have the same".

The wait was reasonable as the place was packed.

The burgers looked magic. I was disappointed when I realized the bun was cold, that's a big no no to me.
But that was really the only frown, as the rest of my plate was perfect, home made chips, little side salad, perfectly portioned.

So on overall I would recommend the place, the food and drinks were lovely, service was good, and the room was nice: wood, bricks, leather couches, and massive windows. a+

The music wasn't my cup of tea, but it wasn't a big deal because when two female journalists meet up for drinks, there's rarely a moment of silence.

The prices to me were a bit too much, I was pleased with my voucher but I am not sure I would be happy to pay 6 pounds for a classic, no big deal cocktail.
But the place does have some offers worth looking into.





No comments:

Post a Comment