Monday 8 February 2016

Best Chinese New Year ever in Glasgow

Always talk to people on the subway. Or in parks. You'll never know how amazing they are if you don't, and in my case I would not have ended up spending Chinese New Year with three adorable students from Beijing if I hadn't. Nor would I have tasted those delicious homemade dumplings. Here's the story.



Yeah in case you're living in a cave, you must have noticed that this weekend was all about Chinese new year. Supermarkets like lidl have special Asian products in store, and Marks and spencer is doing  its 10 pounds Chinese take out deal. But on Saturday I was in the search for something more authentic.


I studied a year in Shanghai, and a little bit in Beijing so I had all the time in the world to eat some unbelievable food in China. One of which was hotpot. So that was the plan; making a Chinese hotpot for my "all I ever had is spring rolls" boyfriend. I was trying to remember the ingredients, typing away on my phone, when I overheard a conversation next to me. Three Chinese students looking for their stop. One of them was reading the next stop "sainteuh Gorgeous cross". I smiled. You adorable person you. I explained in Chinese that it was pronounced George, and that gorgeous meant something else. Which got us talking.
It is very common for Chinese people to give themselves some western name so that we can remember it easier. So the older student introduced himself as William.
-after prince William?
-no, after William Wallace.
-(duh!)
His girlfriend's name was Candy, and his little cousin had not picked a name yet. I suggested Harry (Harry potter fan's immediate reaction) which he liked. So there you go, I baptized a Chinese boy that day.

They wanted to visit Glasgow uni, I directed them. Then I asked about the recipe for hotpot, as you do... or I do (DO IT!!!). Turns out William was a chef in China (see where I'm getting at? Luck is everywhere, you just need to grab it). He explained that the traditional delicacy for new year in Beijing is dumplings. Drool. Next thing I know, I deleted my hotpot food list and was invited to spend new year in their flat.



The next day, boyfriend was still confused:
-so you met these people on the subway?
-yep.
-and they invited you for their new year celebration. Just like that?
-yep.
-how do you know it's safe?
-babe, when I do die, I would rather it be while eating dumplings.

We weren't killed no, although the amount of dumplings was pretty deadly. We were greeted by three happy faces, delighted that we could make it, and we had a fabulous wee time.


I must say, there is nothing cuter than a Chinese and a Scot trying to communicate.
It felt just like a family holiday; we (mostly they) made dumplings, we talked about different new year traditions, I explained how in France we are supposed to eat 12 grapes when midnight strikes, which no one does, because you would choke. Derek explained how in Scotland for Hogmanay, you open the front door to let the new year in, and open the back door to farewell the old year.
We watched some chinese Tv, some kind of crazy surreal Xfactor.
And finally we had dessert; I made some french madeleine which were flavoured with matcha, rose petals and earlgrey.


To think that on an usual sunday night, we would probably have been sitting in, watching some boring Tv instead, that was a very, very pleasant surprise. And we made three new friends. Talk to people!

Xin nian kuai le everyone!





No comments:

Post a Comment