Friday 12 February 2016

Four beautiful and romantic Glasgow restaurants to try this Valentine's day

Glasgow has its fair share of landmarks; the greenhouse in People's palace for one, Kelvingrove museum, Saint Andrews in the Square.
So this year for Valentine's (or anytime really, you romantic dog, you), why not treat your sweetheart to a trip through time in one of Glasgow's finest buildings.

Here is a wee selection.




Chaopraya

You might not know it yet (where have you been?) but Chaopraya is Europe's largest Thai restaurant, set in the iconic Townhouse building on Buchanan street. As soon as you push the main door, you will be mesmerised not only by the beautiful entrance hall and giant staircase, but most importantly by the delightful smell of coconut.

As I always say, "if you can smell coconut, nothing wrong can happen" (that's not true, I don't say that, but it's a good motto).

The dining room is breathtaking, with the highest of high ceilings. When you're sitting at your table, look up. See that balcony up there? No, it's not where the owner looks upon the room smoking his pipe. No, it's not where star footballers get treated to a special secret menu. This is pretty much where everyone can sit for a romantic, more private meal. So don't be shy to ask for a booking.
(although Valentine's day is obviously already booked. But now you know ;) )

Chaopraya's a la carte menu is a treasure for every thai food addict, so it's an all year treat.





The Corinthian club

Located in buzzing Merchant city, the Corinthian club is set in 18th century Virginia Mansion. It was built in 1752 for prominent City Merchant George Buchanan, and was considered one of Glasgow's finest private residences. And I can see why. As soon as I entered the hall, I felt really tiny. Which I do normally... because I am. But not as much.
The whole atmosphere of the place feels decadent, as if ladies with long gloves and boas were to emerge from the next room any minute.
Definitely worth a visit for a classy, romantic dinner or pre drinks.

I must admit I have not tried the food yet, but I had champagne there a few weeks ago with a friend and she made me swear we would return for dinner. So we shall.
This week, the Corinthian Club offers a special Valentine's menu, along with some love-themed events such as movie screenings. Perfect for a night out with the gals too.



Cup tea/ Gin 71, Renfield street

Well, I must admit I was rather impressed when returning to Glasgow after a few years and finding out about Gin 71's cocktail menu. I treated myself to a quiet afternoon tea in Cup years ago, but the place gets a very different feel when the sun goes down.
It may surprise you to know that this now trendy Gin afficionado venue used to be a bank.
Make sure you stare at the stunning ceiling for a good minute, looking like an idiot, and you'll know what I'm talking about: beautiful interior, chandelier and fireplaces. A little glamour to start off your night in style.

No special Valentine's menu for this venue (the Virginia bar in Merchant city does) but how about sharing a spicy gingery "Down the Rabbit hole" (no pun intended) teapot cocktail with your S/O before going out for some food.


Hutchesons Bar and Brasserie

From bank to hospital. That's right you heard me. The Hutchesons hospital was originally erected on 1660 in Trongate. But it got demolished. So they built a new one in Ingram street.
The new building was completed in 1805. Since then, Hutchesons hall has hosted a library, a bank, an exhibition center and now, a fine dining restaurant with lavish interiors. The stained glass windows alone, are worth a trip to the three floor dining venue.
This Valentine's Hutchesons is offering a sharing menu, which in my case would be a really bad idea: I can easily picture my sweetheart and myself fork battling over their chocolate and salted caramel fondant. If you have more self control, this might just be the perfect place for you and your Valentine.








No comments:

Post a Comment