Sunday 5 August 2012

Leeds: First impressions


As Matt's plane was landing in Leeds Bradford airport,  I thought it was the perfect opportunity to visit a new place and decided to meet him there. It was also the perfect excuse to go to York once more as I had not been in years.

I had no idea what to expect from Leeds. In France you would hear about London or Edinburgh, but not much else unfortunately, so I was rather curious.

As I left rainy Glasgow, I could swear the rain stopped the second I entered England.
Two very chatty people decided to sit right in front of me (you know when the whole train is empty and people simply decide they want to sit next to YOU...) but I stayed focused on the scenery, blocking the noise.
I passed a place called Saltaire that caught my attention, and wrote it on my to do list.

I then arrived in Leeds and, I have to admit, it overcame my expectations.
The city is lovely, really lovely, and I wish someone had recommended that place before.
Of course, the fact that I had not seen the sun in a month must have had some part in my excitement.

We stayed in the Etap hotel near the calls.
This budget accomodation was good enough; there was a summer deal going on and the night was as cheap as 18 pounds. Can't complain.


We started the night by having drinks at the calls landing. This pub has a terrace that overlooks the river Aire. Matt and I sat there enjoying the sun, nibbling on fresh olives while drinking a pint of lagger (who am I kidding, I had a strawberry cider)

No comments:

Post a Comment