Tuesday 7 August 2012

York do's and dont's

I have done quite a research about York: the place is packed with pubs , cafes and restaurants, so where go?

Confession: all my researching lead to nothing. I think in this kind of situation (a one day getaway), you've got to go with the flow and trust your instincts.

Let's start with my recommendations.

Crumbs tea room


After a look in the national trust shop in college street that sells all the kind of useless crap I am into (tea towels with the Queen's face on it, vintage cooking books, how to grow your own coriander kit ...)  I was feeling in the mood for a cup of tea. We passed a couple of cafes when the window of Crumbles caught my eye. The window featured a sweet exhibit of three tier cake stands and teacup hanging on ribbons.

Matt was wanting a milkshake, can't blame him with that heat. I happened to want nothing, and cursed the sun for stopping me from having a cupcake. They all looked so tasty, and what a choice!
The girl was very friendly and we felt so relaxed in this retro-looking wee place.
We sat in the couch, looking out the window, flicking through some cooking books (I copied some of the recipes, might as well).
Ideal for a cream tea break when touring the city.

+ lovely interior                                     
- so overly cute your brain might explode






















Crazy bubble tea

We passed that place and suddenly, I was back in Shanghai.
I remembered how my Indonesian friend Chandra used to love those, and I thought it would be fun to share this experience with Matt.




This tea drink that originated from Taiwan has a tea base mixed with fruit or milk. You then add some chewy tapioca balls (or pearls). We chose a coconut milk tea with mango pearls.
It was just like I remembered: weird. I don't think Matt was such a fan, I thought it was funny.
I guess it's not everyone's cup of bubble tea.




+ something new                        
-  expensive                               





York hog roast

We walked past this shop a few times that day, drooling like crazy.
So when we had to leave for our train and had no time to sit for a proper meal, we decided to get a sandwich there. A bit pricey but my god, what a meat.
We both went for the pork sandwich which is basically a Sunday roast stuck between two pieces of bread :  roast pork with stuffing, apple sauce and crackling. I had read a review saying the meat was too dry, nope, can't agree with that, it was perfect. To my taste it would need a bit more apple sauce but that's not a rule.

+ quality meat                       
- not for dieters                     


No comments:

Post a Comment