Saturday 11 August 2012

York: Gert and Henry, my worst experience


Like every tourist destination, York has many traps that we need to avoid (in France we call that an "attrape- cons", basically a fish net for stupid people...)

In York there is a massive one (vulnerable people should now be put away from the screen):

Gert and Henry:

I had read a few negative reviews about this place, some people where saying how their standard had lowered over the years. But when Matt and I were dying for a drink and we passed it, I must say the cute facade made me want to give it a go. After all, how bad can it go with just one drink.
Answer is: very!

STAY AWAY FROM THAT PLACE, THIS IS NOT AN EXERCISE!

We sat by the window, and ordered a pint of lager and a bottle of cider. We were chatting when the waitress brought us a free nibble: a plate full of greasy doughnuts.
"That's... strange" I thought, but then again , it was free so what can we say?

My cider arrived almost straight away. When the lager was still not there after ten minutes, I asked the waitress who said "yes, the draught is a bit hard to pull down"
"??"

When finally a tray full of beers arrived (after another ten minutes), I was all ready to just enjoy the moment and be cool, but our drink was not on it.
Another five minutes (yeah I was going through a phase of making efforts not to be a pain, but being patient hurts my fingers)

So that was it, I asked for the bill and said we were just going to leave it. The panicked waitress reported it to her manager (an angry looking wee Asian guy), who, true story, went to the table next to us, took their drink and put it on our table. I said "no, no thanks we don't want it, we are leaving now".
I looked at the menu, left the 2,75 pounds for my cider and we took off. I had barely stepped out the door when the manager lost it, shouting at us to stay inside.
-"excuse me?"
-"the bill, you need to pay the bill!"
-"I left the money on the table"
-"how can you have left it on the table, you don't know how much it was, I don't even know how much it was"
-"It was 2.75!" I said, raging.

We tried to leave again and he shouted at us even harder, in front of a room full of shocked customers.
When he finally made his little calculation (I guess something like 2,75+ 0 = 2,75) , he rudely waved us away.

-"well, thanks very much!" I said, still not believing what had just happened . He did not even look at me.

I guess I do not need to add anything to that, just stay away from Gerk and ... oops sorry, Gert and Henrys.




No comments:

Post a Comment