Thursday 12 July 2012

Hidden lane tearoom

The rain, always the rain.

I was sitting in my room with melancholy, watching the rain pour, hating my friends back in France who were probably getting a tan on the beach when I heard my Spanish flatmate Raquel in the kitchen.
"Surely she can relate to what I'm going through" I thought, then got up and met her for a chat.
"I would kill for an afternoon tea" I said. Seeing the surprised look on her face I talked her through what I can honestly say is my favourite British tradition. "And then you get the scones..." "What's a scone?"

That was it.

We grabbed our coats and took off.


Living near Argyle street, I passed the hidden lane a few times, and was always curious about the tearoom.

As I entered, it felt like I had finally found my dream tearoom. Everything screamed retro, pink and sweet.

A cute stand was featuring the cakes of the day which today included cupcakes and meringues.
We went upstairs and  grabbed a table by the balcony.
Just like downstairs, every detail was perfectly coordinated, un-matching chairs with matching floral cushions, mint-coloured walls, fresh flowers.

We went for the cream tea which was 8 pounds (different from what the website said but let's pass) which entitled us to a teapot for two and a scone each.


One negative point though, the table had been cleared but not cleaned, and was sticky from the customers before us.



Those scones were the best ones I had in Glasgow so far. Sugar coated and served in halves with fresh whipped cream and jam, topped with a strawberry. The teapot was massive, the teacups weren't. As part of the shop's collection (collected over 2 years the owner told me), the teacups were obviously a lovely retro set, but, for the huge tea drinker that I am , I wish I did not have to refill every two mins.
But at least the tea stayed warm all throughout, so I was quite happy in the end.



I was also pleased to hear that the cakes were freshly baked daily, so if I was to come back the next day (tempting) I would have a new range of cakes waiting for me.


An overall charming experience, bravo.

So charming that, as Raquel and I were chatting on our way out, the waitress called us in, we had forgotten to pay the bill. Embarrassing. But I guess this was the best compliment we could have made, feeling so cosy and nice that it felt like leaving a friend's house. Oh well, at least we all had a good laugh.




No comments:

Post a Comment