Wednesday 11 July 2012

Taste of Edinburgh: the dining experience

One major aspect of the taste is that you actually get to taste some great restaurants food that you could not normally afford. I am gonna stop you right there, you still can't afford them, they just came up with one third of a portion that you pay one third of the price (around a fiver a course)

So it's basically like when you can't afford a car, well they will give you a third of it, let's say hand break, seats, and wheel for one third of the price.

I know I'm sounding sarcastic but I'm not, I'm just a cheeky person by nature.

No seriously now, I really liked the concept, as I was able to eat mini things which is my passion in life.



So here is what I chose for my own mini three courses:

For starters I went with a "pomegranate bellini and olives" from Whole foods market.

Ok it isn't a starter, it's more of an aperitif but let's not forget that my blog is about great food on a shoestring, could not possibly afford a three course meal that day.
The olives were lovely, very tasty. The bellini was nice, not too sweet.


For the main course I chose the "Confit of Kirriemuir lamb, caramelised celery puree and fondant potato, mint crisp and tarragon jus" from The Balmoral.


For some reason, I cannot stand mint. I mean, mint tea is fine, a mint leaf from time to time, but mint in a savoury dish, non merci, and yet, I was drawn to that one.
I must say, congratulations Balmoral, for making me appreciate mint with meat for the first time.
The lamb was so tender, almost melting in my mouth, the potato fondant was exquisite, I wished there was more in my plate. Makes me want to try their full menu. Good one.



And for desert I picked the "Summer berries, vanilla mascarpone, raspberry crumble" from Angels with Bagpipes.

When I first saw it I thought : "oh lovely, a barbie doll sized dessert!" but as soon as I tasted the mascarpone,  oh my god. It was light but so tasty at the same time, paired with the berries it was just an enchantment.








No comments:

Post a Comment