Monday 9 July 2012

Taste of Edinburgh: actual tasting

Let's be serious now, I have some tasting to do.

When I entered the festival I thought "Mon dieu, where do I begin?"

Turns out it was a piece of cupcake, as some stalls just naturally caught my intention. And here they are:


Hamlyns oats



Liz and Tracey from Hamlyns were oh so welcoming, Their company uses premium oats, grown and milled in the Scottish countryside, using no additives or preservatives. They nicely gave me a porridge sample which I'm sure will do me an excellent healthy breakfast this week.






Yum yum tree fudge


I was greeted by a nice wee man. He talked me through Yum Yum's products which are made with local British sugar and natural flavours. He pointed out to the strawberry flavoured fudge, and asked me to smell it. It did smell like fresh strawberries. "What a delight" I thought, while the fudge was melting in my mouth. "We even supply Harrods!" he added proudly. I am no Harrods regular unfortunately but to me that's an extra reason to trust the wee man.


Melville's fruit craft lager


Ok I'm just gonna say it: I don't like beer. Aaargh I know, terrible, you are in the UK you must know how to appreciate a good lager, well I don't, I'm sorry, it's too bitter for me.
But (because there is a "but" ,of course), when I saw that Melville's craft lager were offering strawberry and raspberry flavoured beer, I thought I would put my fear aside for a second and give it a go.
How nice is this lager! It was sweet, fresh and fruity.
For the first time in my life I appreciated the taste of beer, so well done!
On top of that, they don't use juice from concentrate but only natural ingredients: malt, hops, yeast, water and real fruit.


JoJo's Danish bakery

I came across three cupcakes stalls that day. JoJo's was not only offering the cheapest ones (£1.50 compared to £3 pounds elsewhere), but she happened to be the only one who smiled at me.
I believe purchasing is not all about the products, it's also about contributing to someone's business.
So when I approach a stall and I am given a big smile , well, I am  pleased to give my money away.
The cupcakes also tasted great of course or I would not recommend them. The icing was so pretty and tasted like fresh vanilla fluffy butter.
I just wished she had more flavours in, as I was left with either chocolate or vanilla.








No comments:

Post a Comment