Sunday 8 July 2012

Taste of Edinburgh: Interviews


Merci beaucoup!

So I was watching this cooking demonstration, building up my genius plan to get to Channel 4 Eric Lanlard or Loyd Grossman when I realized that Lanlard was actually standing next to me in the crowd, watching the show just like I was.
So I introduced myself in French and he happily accepted to give me an interview later on. Still cannot believe my luck.

During his demonstration, Lanlard showed the audience how to make a modern version of the lemon curd tart using revolutionary ingredients such as green tea powder or yuzu lemon.
The audience laughed from beginning to end as the pastry chef told us some funny career stories of his: like this time when he went to the doctor for a check up:
"so the doctor said "everything is fine, but do you wanna talk about this? I said "what?" and he said "the marks on your wrist" (big laugh from the audience) and I said "hmm I'm a pastry chef, I get this from the trays out of the oven, I wasn't self harming because my shit pastry didn't rise or something (he laughs)!"

In the interview, Eric tells me all about his love for Scotland and his addiction to Jam rolly polly and custard.
To listen to our little chat click here.



As if I could get any luckier than that, once another demo was over, I approached the chef to ask him a few questions when a lady came up asking who I was. Turns out she was Loyd Grossman's PR person. Next thing I know, I am invited to the VIP room and meeting Mr Grossman himself.

Just one of those days...

During the Q and A, Mr Grossman was wearing a smart black suit with a surprising pair of flashing raspberry coloured socks. In my head I thought "nice one Loyd, you show them!".

He was very relaxed and easy to chat to. When asked about a possible coming back on screen he admitted he "really much hoped not" as he thinks there are way too many cooking shows on TV at the moment.

He then shared his love for travel and food, and how they are so powerfully connected, and he told us all about his influence number 1: Italy

To hear more from Grossman, click here.


No comments:

Post a Comment