Friday 13 July 2012

Lunch at the Willow tearooms, buchanan street

When I first came to Glasgow a year ago, I had read any guides that ever existed on the city. I wanted to make sure I wouldn't miss anything.

I became obsessed with going to the Willow tea rooms as every guide described it as a must do, designed by Mackintosh in the 1900's.

For some reasons I had trouble finding it, until one day of shopping with Matt on Buchanan street:
"Oh my god it's here! Can we go please, please, pretty please?"
I wish I hadn't insisted.

Because you see, the Willow tea rooms is to me, the biggest disappointment of my career (I'm still young so I assume there will be many more).

So back to one year ago, we went upstairs. Matt moaned about the queue, I smiled and said: "This means the food must be fantastic".
So we waited quietly, I was really excited. When it came to us, the reception lady looked over my shoulder and asked: "two people?" to the next couple. I waved at her and said that we were here first and she totally ignored me. She asked the same thing again, and the couple behind me confirmed to her that we were here first.
How rude. What was the problem there, I asked. Seeing the irritated look on my face she finally gave us a table.
I never felt so insulted.
I wanted to leave but Matt said that after all the trouble we went through we might as well eat.
Which we did. Terrible. Matt ordered a cheese sandwich, which was basically two pieces of toast and some grated cheese for about 5 pounds. I was "raging". The food took ages to come, I still felt hurt, we left and swore never to come back.


BUT...
As Susan and I met in town today for a ladies lunch, I figured that now I am writing a blog on the matter, I should maybe give them a second chance, as I have to admit, the 6 pounds lunch deal was quite tempting.

So same again, queue etc... Not a problem, I was prepared.
We got a table pretty fast, and also ordered pretty fast as we knew what we wanted.
Susan went with the soup of the day, lentil soup, and I went with the lunch deal which was chili con carne with tea of my choice (I chose rose petal tea).

We waited half an hour. 25 minutes for the tea itself. I don't know, maybe they were waiting on a delivery from China.
When I asked what was taking so long, they said our particular meal was quite long to prepare.
"Oh I hadn't realized they were making my chili from scratch" I told Susan sarcastically.

But this gave me the time to stare at the Mackintosh chair. Yes, very pretty.

Giving me a table by the kitchen was not the smartest idea either, as I caught a glimpse of how the scones were prepacked. For a tearoom I think that's a bit big.
I was also delighted to see a tray full of cakes being put down on the top of a bin as there was no room elsewhere. Yummy.

We then enjoyed a feast of watery chili with microwaved pitta (you know the ones that are hot for 30 seconds  and then get hard and dry, deelish!), and an obviously not homemade soup.

The positive thing I will remember and want to stress though, is how lovely that young waitress was.
Susan is lactose and gluten intolerant, and the waitress came up with suggestions and made sure every food was safe. Good one.

For that reason we decided to order desert, which turned out to be lovely (no scones for me though, jeez!)
We both had the meringues, which I very much enjoyed.

So what I would say about the Willow tearooms is: go there for tea and cakes, and the chairs; not for the manager's attitude or the food or you would be as disappointed as I was.

As for me, I give second chances, but no third ones.










No comments:

Post a Comment